Wednesday, January 5, 2011

You're The Poet In My Heart

Jim Morrison wasn't just the erratic front man of The Doors.  He was also a poet.  "I kept a lot of notebooks through high school and college, and then when I left school, for some dumb reason-maybe it was wise-I threw them all away...I wrote in those books night after night.  But maybe if I'd never thrown them away, I'd never have written anything original-because they were mainly accumulations of things that I'd read or heard, like quotes from books.  I think if I'd never gotten rid of them I'd never been free."  Jim Morrison's poetry is so heavy and avant garde and very inspiring.  I'm a big fan of his writing. Jim Morrison was one of a kind and there will never be another poet as prodigious as he was. I own books volumes 1 and 2 of his writings: Wilderness and The American Night.  Here are some poems I dig.
(photo-Flickr, poems-written by Jim Morrison, scanned by me from Wilderness and The American Night)

1 comment:

gloria said...

oh my gosh that quote about keeping all the journals that are pretty much quotes and lines from books... that is me, and pretty much my blog... it's like you want to keep it all and by writing it down (or posting it on your blog) it becomes a part of you or something youll remember and shape your thoughts... oh jim. i love him